SPORTS PREMIUM FUNDING 2017-18
Regular opportunities for children to be active, engaged and challenged are important for health and wellbeing. Following the 2012 Olympics the government allocated additional funding for school PE and sport. Teachers and pupils at Ascot Heath CE Junior observe that physical activity also contributes to developing positive self-esteem, teamwork/collaboration, perseverance and resilience; the school is committed to a rich curricular PE offer and actively seeks additional extra-curricular sporting activities.
To ensure children are getting the most out of their Physical Education time in school the government has suggested that schools should have a vision/plan for their PE provision; that PE and sport should contribute to school improvement by addressing the needs of the whole child; that schools should have a broad, rich curriculum which is well taught and enables children to be effective learners; that schools offer opportunities for children to engage in competition and that children understand how physical activity can help them make positive lifestyle choices now and in the future. This is underpinned by an Ofsted framework which will take into account the provision of Physical Education and its impact on young people in schools.
To ensure that all of this is achievable parliament passed a budget for funding for primary/junior schools' PE, dependent upon the size of the school. For Ascot Heath Church of England Junior School that funding has meant an extra £9520 to be spent specifically on PE in 2017-18.
It was decided that the funding would be spent to improve the following areas within school:
- The quality of the teaching of PE.
- Introducing new sports and games to the school.
- Supporting and engaging participation of the least active children.
- Increasing opportunities for pupils to take part both intra- and inter-school competitions.
PE AND SPORT PROVISION 2017/18
Teachers across all year groups have had opportunities to increase their knowledge, skills and quality of teaching in PE by working in partnership with Get Active sports coaches and peripatetic instructors in fencing, netball, hockey, football, cricket and rugby. This has resulted in all teachers increasing their confidence in teaching the different sports and an increase in reluctant pupils taking a more active part in PE lessons. We have also continued to provide an opportunity for every child to take part in the active Kick Start programme on Thursday and Friday mornings before school. Swimming training for designated teachers has been updated together with the STA Award in Pool Emergency Procedures. The PE Leader has purchased sport equipment including netball bibs, tennis nets, netballs/pumps, footballs, bean bags and skipping ropes. Ascot Heath continues to have high participation rates during school PE lessons and in extra curricular activities. In 2017-18 there will be additional intra-school competitions for rounders, dance, netball and football.
Inter-School Competitive Sports Events 2016-17
- Year 3 - 13% participation
- Year 4 - 23% participation
- Year 5 - 37% participation
- Year 6 - 50% participation
Intra-School Competitive House Events Summer 17
- School Sports Day - 98% participation
- Alternative Sports Day - 100% participation
- Upper/Lower School Swimming Galas - 100% participation
Events and Achievements 2017-18
- London Irish Tag Rugby Coaching
- Cross Country at Lily Hill Park - Boys A - 2nd, Boys B - 2nd, Girls A - 1st
- Bracknell Forest Indoor Athletics
Events and Achievements 2016-17
- Cross Country at Lily Hill Park – Boys A – 2nd
- Year 5/6 BF Rugby Competition – 1st
- Year 3/4 BF Rugby Competition – 4th
- Yr3/4 Bracknell Forest Indoor Athletics Final – 3rd
- Yr5/6 BF Indoor Athletics Final – 4th
- Cluster Schools' NetballTournaments - Various Results
- Bracknell Forest Tri-Golf – 1st
- Berkshire School Games - 1st
- Bracknell Forest Cycling - 1st
- Berkshire School Games - 2nd
- Kwik Cricket 6A - Quarter Finals, 6B - Group Stage
- Kwik Cricket - Year 5 - 1st, Girls - Group Stage
- BF Outdoor Athletics - 6th
- Bracknell Forest Orienteering -1st
- BF Swimming Gala - 2nd